Monday, February 7, 2011

Detroit

For those few who actually read this blog, I am sure that you were aware that I hail from Detroit, Michigan. I am very proud of this fact and I love my home state and my home town. A lot of people scoff when I tell them I am from Detroit, saying things like, "aren't you glad to be out of there?" Well, honestly, no. If it were plausible for me to live and work in Michigan I would be back there in a heartbeat. Jon might protest that a bit, since he hates the cold, but I love where my roots are. I love that you can trace my parents history and everything goes back to that beautiful place.

If it were up to me, I'd go back every summer and take a trip to the UP with my mom, driving the back roads and visiting the Edmund Fitzgerald via glass bottom boat. We'd drive out to Holland for the Tulip Festival in the spring. We'd paddle boat and hike at Kensington, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and maybe even along the coastline of Lake Michigan. I really wish that people could just go there and understand how amazing it is. Rather than protesting and saying that Michigan is one of the last places they would ever want to go, why not give it a chance. Sure, some of the Detroit area looks very sad, but the people who are rebuilding it have a deep love for it. The trees, the water, the hearty people, everything about that place makes me feel loved and warm inside.

Well, rather than trying to convert you all to a love of my home, here are a few videos that remind me why I love Detroit. Kid Rock, Eminem, and Tim Allen are all featured in these, and they really do show their love through their words. Enjoy. Warning to my friends from Detroit, these might make you uber homesick.


Chrysler Super Bowl Ad


Eminem's Letter to Detroit


Pure Michigan Ad Campaign featuring Tim Allen's voice


Kid Rock's AMA performance


Kid Rock's Summertime in Michigan

And just for fun, you should probably read this article too. The Freep does a really good job of summing up the spirit of the Chrysler commercial that aired during last night's Super Bowl.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Great post Rach!

anna. said...

ohio > michigan

but i know what you mean ( :

i never thought i'd want to move back to cbus when i left but the more i'm away from "home," the more i sort of miss it.