Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Christmas Spirit

So.... I know Christmas is 37 days away, but I'm way in the Christmas mood this year.

Last week on my day off I decorated the house for Christmas, this week I worked on finishing up the last few gifts. I also had a fun time watching Bones season three. I just finished the Christmas episode of the show and it was adorable. It made me think about what makes a "real" Christmas. For me Christmas is only Christmas when I am with my family. That is the number one most important part of the season. Jon and I get to start our Christmas season next week when we fly down to San Diego for Thanksgiving with his family, the first of three family gatherings we get to enjoy this season.

In thinking more about what makes Christmas real for me, I realized that my list is probably very different from Jon's list. I grew up in the nice cool climate of suburban Detroit and Jon grew up in sunny San Diego. Starting on Thanksgiving day and ending on Christmas day, once a day I will post about a different Christmas tradition that my family or Jon's family enjoyed over the years.

I got the idea from an awesome new book that they are selling at Deseret Book. It's called Christmas with the Prophets. It's all about the different Prophets of my church and the ways that they celebrated Christmas with their families over the years in all of the different places they lived.

As all of our siblings' families are expanding we know that Christmas with our extended families will get more and more difficult, so it will be fun to decide which Christmas traditions to keep for our own little family in the years to come.


Christmas 2008, our first Christmas together

If you have any wonderful family traditions that you'd like to share, I'd love to hear about them.

2 comments:

anna. said...

aww cute pic. and yay for blogging more!

Hope said...

I can't wait to read about the Raymond traditions! It will be a little trip down memory for me too.
I hope all is well with you and Jon.
xoxox