Saturday, December 4, 2010

Spirit of Christmas: Day 10

An Ornament a Year

To put together these daily traditions, I knew that my family alone would not have enough traditions, so I reached out to my in-laws at Thanksgiving and asked them to help me compile a list of traditions. My sisters have each mentioned a few traditions that I added to the list as well.

Today's tradition comes from my sister-in-law Alyssa. It was fun to find out right after she told me about this tradition that my sister Beth does it as well. Great minds must think alike!

So, here is how the tradition works at the Quigley home. This is a quote from Alyssa's message, "Every year on Christmas Eve we also opened up a new ornament for each of us. Nate and i have carried that on as well. We do a family ornament (you probably remember the "Quigley Familey" ornament mishap in Park City) and we get Charlotte her own ornament each year (and we'll do that for each of our kids)."

The Quigley Familey ornament was purchased at the Rocky Mountain Christmas store in Park City when the family visited for Memorial Day. Alyssa looked through each of the three character moose ornaments looking for the perfect one. Once she found it, she took it up to be personalized. I think the lady that was working must have been tired because this is how it turned out.


In case you were wondering where the error is, spell check familey.

Jon and I attempted to carry on this tradition last year as well, when we purchased this ornament.

And his parents shared with all of the kids when we received our very own Christmas pickles.


Can you spot it in this picture?

I mentioned before that my sister Beth also follows this tradition. In her family they get a new family ornament every year also, but for the kids, their ornament follows a theme. Miranda gets an angel/fairy every year, Maddie gets bears, and Matthew has a collection of snowmen. When the kids are all grown up, they will be able to decorate an entire themed Christmas tree.

Look forward to Cookie Baking Extravaganza tomorrow.

No comments: