Friday, December 24, 2010

Spirit of Christmas: Day 30

Christmas with the Raymonds

Just like I talked with my mom and Dar, I talked with my Dad about his favorite family traditions.  My dad mentioned first off how much he just loved having the whole family together for the holidays.  He loved as a kid going over to his aunt and uncle's house to celebrate on Christmas Eve with a giant family feast.  We reminisced about having the feast at my grandma and grandpa's house in St. Claire Shores.  It was so nice to remember those times.  He laughed as he remembered me and my sisters and cousins putting on a play of the nativity story in the basement for all of the parents.  Grandma always had the very best chip dip.  We then talked about the way those traditions have shifted into some of our little Raymond family traditions.
Me and Dad at The Henry Ford before Christmas
Jon, Mom, and Me at The Henry Ford
Now, we don't have a giant feast, and in the last few years, we haven't all been together, but we do have Turkey Casserole and Jello Salad as Christmas dinner.  It's an important Christmas tradition at the Raymond house.  My mom also makes the VERY BEST dinner rolls on earth.  She makes 3 dozen, and sometimes even 6 dozen so that we can have them with Christmas Eve and Christmas dinner.
Another thing my dad remembered as a child was always reading the Christmas story from Luke 2.  We have carried this on in a fun way.  My mom puts the pieces of the creche into paper bags and we take turns opening our "gift" of the story of Jesus' birth and reading the verses that go with that person.  I am so grateful that my dad was able to open up and share with me his memories even if they do make us miss our family members who are not here.



And just to share, this is a video from the new MormonMessages DVD.  The Spirit of Christmas, exactly what we have been discussing over the last 30 days.  This DVD is so awesome and almost all of the videos make me teary eyed.  The 20 most viewed are on the DVD and the rest of these awesome messages are available on the Mormon Channel.  Check them out.

No comments: