Monday, December 20, 2010

Spirit of Christmas: Day 26

Using Your Gifts

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but the privilege of using any item for the first time is always to exciting and fresh to me.  I love getting new clothes and wearing them for the first time, or taking the first bite of a sandwich.  The first of everything is always the best.  So, on Christmas I am a devout believer in the use of a first immediately.  When I got the Barbie Minivan with the carseat for the Kelly doll, it was assembled and had its stickers stuck to it as soon as we were all done opening gifts.  My Bitty Baby doll didn't even stay in her box through gift opening the year I got her.  I do not know if my siblings or anyone else feels this way, but I still love trying out all of my new gifts on Christmas day.

So... for your viewing pleasure, here are some of my Christmas firsts.

December 25, 1989, Maggie and I got awesome snowsuits to go sledding on the hill behind our house on Hillview.
December 25, 1990, Beth got me those awesome U of M boxer shorts, I got the knitted hat, see and say, Cabbage Patch Kid, shirt, and Mickey Mouse slipper socks for Christmas that year.

December 25, 1994, My Grandma Raymond bought me a soft (not itchy) sweater for Christmas and my parents got me cool new dark jeans. 

December 31, 2008, Christmas at the Hamilton house I wore my brand new shirt and awesome sock monkey slippers and helped Jon Mason set up some of Sam's new toys so he could enjoy his first.

P.S.  Happy 31st Birthday to Erin Mason!  We are so excited to celebrate with you tonight!

Watch out tomorrow for a few Mason family traditions.

3 comments:

Erin Mason said...

I've loved reading about your Christmas traditions - and thanks for the shout-out! :)

ruth said...

we had the barbie van!!!!


also great job on your 25 days of christmas!! ive loved reading it!

Emily said...

You kind of look like a young Zooey Deschanel in that cute striped pink sweater :)