Friday, December 17, 2010

Spirit of Christmas: Day 23

Kids Gifts

This is a Hamilton family tradition, one that I think is pretty fun and that we tweaked a little bit this year.  In the Christmas frenzy of gift opening, it would be difficult to say, "I got that for you," every single time a person opened gifts from one another, so, to reduce the confusion on Christmas morning, and to really appreciate the gifts that the kids give to one another, the Hamiltons open kid gifts on Christmas Eve.  We gather around the tree and take turns opening the gifts.  In my experiences with the Hamiltons we have all opened the gifts from Erin's family, then all opened from Jon's family, then David, then Alyssa.  It's so a fun thing to see what the kids have all selected for one another and to really have the time to appreciate them and offer thanks for them.  That way Santa can't take the credit for a gift from one of the siblings.

This year we did tweak things a little bit because Jon and I brought our gifts down to California at Thanksgiving.  We had everyone open their gifts, but they still are not allowed to say what they are because my siblings haven't opened theirs yet.  The rest of the sibling gifts will be exchanged on New Years Eve when the Hamilton clan gets together to celebrate again.  Jon and I will be celebrating in Utah this year, but it was fun to be able to see our gifts opened in advance.

Here I am with Sam and his Christmas present from me and Jon the year before we got engaged.  I am wearing my matching jammies from the Hamiltons too.

How does your family exchange gifts from sibling to sibling?  Do you have any rules for it?


Aimee's family tradition of Christmas Eve clothes will be our tradition for tomorrow.

No comments: