Sunday, December 5, 2010

Spirit of Christmas: Day 11

Cookie Baking Extravaganza

I've mentioned Mama Dar in previous posts, she is my mom's best friend and basically my second mom. Growing up I did lots of things with Dar's amazing family. When I was in elementary school Dar's niece, Denise, invited me to come to her house for a cookie baking sleepover in preparation for the Christmas season. It became a yearly tradition.

Usually the second weekend in December Dar would take me over to Denise's to meet up with her and Bethany, Dar's other amazing niece. We would pick out 6 or so cookie recipes and begin with making the dough. We always made sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, homemade thin mints, no-bake Christmas wreaths, candy cane cookies, and then a few varieties that we would sample from year to year.

After making all of the different doughs and letting the ones settle that needed to, we rolled and cut out angels, Santas, candy canes, and stars galore. We made homemade frosting and whipped up 5 or 6 colors and just had a blast. Without a doubt, every year we ended up covered in flour, not because of food fights, but because we were so focused on having fun we could not notice the mess. Since it was back in the late 90s we also rocked out to N*SYNC Christmas and Hanson's Snowed In Christmas album. All in all, we had a really festive time.

Come Saturday afternoon, when the cookies were all finished and put in tins, Denise would drive us over to Hallmark to pick out a Christmas ornament for the tree for that year. I remember the first two years I picked out Snowbabies ornaments and I think that might be where my collection began.


I have my jingle bell and stocking stuffed Snowbabies hanging on the curtain rods in the living room to remember those fun times this year.

Tomorrow we'll celebrate the Felt Nativity Story Board.

1 comment:

anna. said...

n'sync + cookies = best christmas ever