Thursday, December 2, 2010

Spirit of Christmas: Day 8

Christmas Eve Mass

As most of you know, I was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My parents decided to join this church when they were living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My grandparents were supportive of my parents' choice and they continued going to their own churches.

As a little girl, I remember every Christmas Eve we would go to my Grandma and Grandpa Raymond's house in St. Claire Shores, Michigan, to celebrate with the whole Raymond side of the family. After making dinner and enjoying dinner, my grandparents always invited us to their church's Christmas Eve Mass. Rather than attending midnight mass, I believe we went to the 9'o'clock service. I remember somewhat listening to the story of Jesus birth, but mostly I remember staring in awe at the beautiful stained glass windows that depicted the life of Christ all around the chapel. I loved sitting there and imagining those parts of His life as the sermon was shared of His entrance into the world.

The church that my grandparents went to also had a couple of traditions that I think fit well into this month of memories. The first, that the children were all invited to the front of the congregation to receive a gift. The gift was always a cute metal Christmas ornament with the nativity scene, similar to the one below.

I think my parents have a collection of those from our childhood. The second tradition was the lighting of the candles. At the end of the service each person held a candle and we passed the flame, until every candle was lit and sang Silent Night.

Since we are going back to Michigan for Christmas this year, I'd love to attend another Christmas Mass to bring back this beautiful tradition.

Tomorrow look forward to Stockings First.

No comments: