Friday, December 10, 2010

Spirit of Christmas: Day 16

Christmas Morning with the Andersons

Christmas morning at my sister's in-laws is very, very different from the Christmas morning celebrations that we remember from growing up. I mentioned before that Maggie likes to get up as early as she can to spend the wee hours of Christmas morning talking with Dar and waiting for the rest of us to wake up. At the Anderson's house, there is no such thing as getting up early for presents on Christmas.

Aaron, my awesome brother-in-law, grew up with the tradition that you get up on Christmas morning, take a shower, put on a nice festive outfit, have a good hearty Christmas breakfast, and make your way over to the tree sometime before noon. I don't know if we were just impatient little kids, but I cannot imagine having to get ready on Christmas morning. I have a hard time getting ready for the day before noon on the days that I don't work, and those aren't even holidays.

Maggie and Aaron do enjoy the tradition though because it gives everyone the chance to look nice for family pictures and no one can get cranky half way through present opening because they have had a good hearty meal. I do enjoy getting up early, but it would be fun to gather around the table and guess what Santa brought before just diving into the gift opening.

The other really valid part of this tradition, is the blessing on the food. If the goal and spirit of the season is to think of Christ and what a beautiful gift he was to the world, shouldn't we pray and thank our Heavenly Father for him before we get lost in the gift wrap? I'm not sure what Jon and I will do with our kids on Christmas mornings, breakfast first or stockings first, but I hope that somewhere in there we can incorporate a prayer of thanks and a prayer for blessings to all of our friends and family.

Here is baby Hunter. He gets to enjoy waking up early every other year and having breakfast the opposite. What a lucky little guy.

Hunter's First Christmas

Hunter's Second Christmas

Hunter's Third Christmas - This year


Christmas Morning Coffee Cake will be our tradition for tomorrow.

2 comments:

ruth said...

ahhh that hunter is sooo cute!!

also, I am wanting to do a christmas eve morning coffee cake... tomorrows post better come with a yummy recipe :)

Helena said...

Oh my gosh, what a perfect little elf! Hunter is so adorable.